We collect tiffin boxes in morning from home and deliver to offices. After customer has taken lunch, we collect the empty tiffin box and deliver back to customer home. We deliver tiffin boxes in whole of Mumbai Metropolitan Region (MMR). Our services are in following regions:
- Virar to Church gate
- Kalyan to CST
- Panvel to CST
The delivery charges differ based on the distance to be covered.
LECTURES & SEMINARS
Almost 85% Dabbawalas are illiterate and the remaining 15% are educated up to 8th grade. This way we are not well qualified to teach anyone or for that matter deliver any lecture. However by working for years with full dedication, time management, no strike gathering experience in logistics – Dabbawalas have created as place of their own. Due to this reason we are invited for the lecture by reputed organizations in not only Mumbai or India but from foreign nations too. We are thankful to all for inviting us for the lecture and giving us so much respect.
Dabbawalas are invited for lecture for following reasons:
- To learn the “Management Learning’s From Dabbawala” and then to attempt to apply them in the organization.
- To understand the logistics of Dabbawala in delivering 2,000000 ( 2 lakh ) Dabba daily within stipulated time.
- To gain insight into the colour coding used by the Dabbawalas to ensure error free delivery.
- To know the organizational hierarchy of Dabbawalas to understand what keeps Dabbawalas self-motivated and get going.
- To understand as how Dabbawalas got six sigma , ISO certificate and many other quality certificates even being so not well educated.
- To share the management lessons that Dabbawalas have gained over 125 years.
- To motivate employees by showing that if uneducated Dabbawalas can work so great then why not our employees.
- As we have never gone on strike for past 125 years , some times we are invited to address the employees in sharing the harm of strike.
- Some times Dabbawalas are invited to deliver lecture on annual days and other celebrations of organizations.
- The lecture by us is extremely humorous and everyone enjoys it – its not a lecture rather experience sharing so organizations just invite us to know as how we work.
- As key note speaker.
- As after dinner or after lunch events.
- At product launches.
Format Of The Lecture
- The presentation starts with an optional 5 minute documentary film which gives introduction of Dabbawalas.
- First the presentation is started with “The Magic Of Dabbawala Unfolded” which deals with the history, internal working, coding, logistics, organizational set and all other related issues of Dabbawala. This presentation explains everything about Dabbawala. All your questions about Dabbawala is answered. This lecturer takes about 30 minutes to 2 hour depending upon time given to us. If there are two lecturers then the time is divided otherwise in case of one lecturer the entire lecture is taken by one person.
- After this a rather well made audio visual documentary film titled ” Dabbawala – Small People Great Work” is shown which taken 23 minutes. This film is in English.
- The next lecture “Management Learning’s From Dabbawala” which talks about the learning’s from the 125 year experience of Dabbawalas. This lecture is on rather serious side and points by points narrates as what are the majors highlights of the Dabbawala system and how can an organization benefit by applying them in their organization. This lecture my taken anything from 20 minutes to 40 minutes.
- Cordless mike for speaking for the speaker and one more mike for speaker to interact with the audience.
- If the time permits, then another 20 minute documentary file made by BBC is shown.
- After that the question & Answer session is there ( Sawal Aapke – Javap Dabbawale Ke) where any remaining queries are taken up.
- Few audiences are invited on the stage and they give immediate feedback on lecture and what they have gained from the lecture.
- Vote of thanks by Dabbawalas for inviting uneducated Dabbawalas for the lecture and gifting of Dabba with Gandhi Topi to dignitaries.
Suitable Day & Time Of Lecture
- Monday to Friday 6PM onwards.
- Any time during Saturday and Sunday.
- Any time during holidays.
- However with prior discussion it is very much possible to arrange the lecture on even week days as well – Monday to Friday anytime.
- After checking with the appointments the date is confirmed.
- For international lectures the request must come as early as possible (preferred is 3 month advance) however we may consider lecture request in one month advance as well.
Travel and other arrangements
- Travel arrangements are required for minimum two members.
- Requesting the organizers to arrange for the travel.
- In case of short distances, road or rail transport may be arranged.
- However in case of long distances we request to arrange air travel as we have to get back to Mumbai for work. Normally E-tickets may be send. In the booking our mobile numbers may be given for communication. We carry our photo identity card with us.
- In case the lecture is planned in morning for out of the station locations, it is better to reach the location the previous night and stay.
- Suitable boarding & lodging may be arranged – if required.
How to Invite Dabbawala For The Lecture?
- Please send your lecture and seminar request with details like date and place of event, total number of participants and other related information to email@example.com. After sending the lecture request form by email we will confirm our participation and then the official lecture request on your letterhead must be send
- Please allow few days for us to confirm as we have to check the availability of all lecturers.
Post Lecture Activities
- The lecturer feedback may be send to us on your letter head for our record purpose. Please send hard copy to our office address and scanned copy by email.
- If any photo or video is taken during the event, then the same may be emailed or couriered to us.
- In case any article related with the lecture is made ( Word document, press release or web page ) then the same may be send to us to update on our website.
- Suitable fee for the lecture and seminar may be offered to us.
INSURANCE TO DABBAWALAS
Dabbawalas are engaged in the business of delivering food through cycle and trains. This is a very risky activity and requires insurance for Dabbawalas for their safety. Dabbawala Charity offers insurance of Rs. 10,00000 ( ten lakh / 1 million) to Dabbawalas through Oriental Insurance company Limited ( An Indian government Insurance company) with the support of Dabbawala Enterprises Private Limited ( our commercial company).
Dabbawala Charity also offers medi claim policy of Rs. 100,000 ( one lakh) for the entire family members of Dabbawala to ensure their health needs with the support of Dabbawala Enterprises Private Limited.
BE A DABBAWALA
We have been getting many requests from not only India but many foreign countries to personally interact and understand the working of Dabbawala by actually working with then in local train and deliver food to customers. We are happy to inform that we have made a ” A Day with Dabbawala” scheme which fulfills this demand.
This is how it works:
- Please contact us for the request for the ” A Day with Dabbawala”. Send us your complete details for “A Day With Dabbawala”.
- The day may be arranged for single person or a group.
- You will have to report to any of the railway stations or directly at the residence of Dabbawala at about 8AM.
- If required, we will arrange for a English speaking guide to help you discuss with Dabbawala.
- You will go with Dabbawala to the customer and collect the Dabba.
- Then you will travel in local train with Dabbawalas to the destination station.
- At the destination station , you will do sorting and arranging with Dabbawalas.
- Then you actually travel with Dabbawala and deliver the Dabba to customer.
- Then you take lunch with the group of dabbawalas.
- After this the empty Dabbas are collected.
- Then you return back to station with empty Dabbas.
- Again you travel in local train and reach the starting station. It will be fun this time with Dabbawala in local train as the customer is served and Dabbawalas are relaxed.
- After reaching destination station the Dabba is returned back to customer and this finishes ” A Day with Dabbawala”.
- If required any of the above points may be escaped by you and you may be part of a particular event.
So come and spend ” A Day with Dabbawala” and get to know how we work and what is the reason that even Prince Charles and Sir. Richards Branson (Chairman of Virgin Group – England) took so much interest in us. In fact Sir. Richards Branson actually spend a day with us as mentioned above.
We, the Dabbawalas have access to the length and breadth of Mumbai and no one knows Mumbai more than we do. You may advertise your product and services through Dabbawala’s channel in following manner:
- On the website www.dabbawala.org – on the top front of the website homepage or on the top of other pages.
- We send informative newsletter to all the people who take Dabba services. The ad of your product and services can be send with this newsletter or separate emails can also be send.
- We send dabbas every day to every corner of Mumbai , we can send your leaflet , product description also with the Dabba. This has been successfully tried and tested and used by many companies.
- Your company logo or message Ad on Dabba for wider appeal.
- We may market your product and services with the marketing channel of dabbawalas.
- You may advertise with us any other forms as well.
- The fees given for advertising is shared equally among dabbawala and is used for their welfare.
HOME MADE FOOD
Top reasons to eat homemade food
- Home made food is best for health and because health is wealth. Outside junk foods may affect your health and makes you sick. Home made food keeps your doctors bill down and there are fewer absences from office due to poor health. In fact outside junk food is the reason #1 of all the diseases.
- Home made food is cheaper. When you use Dabbawala’s services to deliver your home cooked food to your office you are actually saving your hard earned pennies. The delivery charges per month is very nominal and reasonable.
- Eating home made food at office is a great way to make a statement that you love your family members like wife or mother.